Altnacealgach House, a mansion house in the heart of historic Colchester, was originally built in 1888 by successful brewer and businessman Arthur Thomas Osborne and bought by Essex County Council after World War II. The site was then acquired by Harding Homes.
Cura Construction Ltd completed the conversion of this building from offices to six spacious apartments with the addition of two semi-detached new build houses and a two bedroom new build gate house. The two storey building is constructed of solid brick external walls and slate roof with double sash windows and ogee moulding on the lintels. The new build plots are constructed with brick and block cavity walls with fully insulated cavity, solid timber joists and roof trusses and a slate roof.
Existing period details were retained and refurbished throughout including a tiled entrance floor, skirting boards, cornicing, several large fireplaces and a spectacular central oak staircase. The roof lantern above the main staircase was replaced in the style of the original. Timber sash windows were installed throughout the whole project.
Set in two acres of landscaped gardens and just a stones throw from the hustle and bustle of Colchester town centre, this former council office has been transformed into a striking collection of homes in a desirable residential area.